Saturday, June 30, 2007

Children 1: Field Trip

Click on the image for more.

On Friday I spent a couple of hours with the children from the Women and Children's shelter. We went ice skating and then swimming in a not-so-warm Green Lake. Perhaps I'm just getting old(er), as the kids didn't really seem cold. Well, they're kids, and they live in Seattle. It was my first ice skating experience, and as I discovered, I am very talented. Had I been in the 1984 Olympics, I would have stolen gold from Katarina Witt. Now seriously, I was bad! Really bad. And the kids were great. Most of them experienced it for the first time, too, yet they maneuvered as good as Kati did back in the day. After a while I figured that my backpack was just one of the reasons I performed poorly. Add to that 5 pounds of equipment around my neck, no medical insurance, and it's a recipe for disaster!

Anyway, we had a great day. During the summer I will be photographing this group of children as well as others that live at other shelters in Seattle. In addition to that I will start experimenting with audio, combining it with stills. And as time permits, I will write more about my whole experience.


P.S. More images from Friday taken with a film camera are coming in just a few days.

Canon XT
Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4
Sigma 18-200mm 3.5-6.3

No comments: