Saturday, September 20, 2008

Port Townsend Shipyard

Click on the image for more photos.


Back in April I spent a few days in Port Townsend with my class, a regular thing that was part of our curriculum. Being interested in photojournalism and portraiture, I decided to combine both and spend time with some interesting people. So I'd gone to PT two weeks earlier with my wife, searching for an idea. Somehow we ended up at the shipyard, and in minutes I decided to spend those few days right there. Two weeks later I was hanging out with three welders, Eric Howe, Milton Bud Altom and Paul Purpura aboard Anna Marie, a fishing boat that was being repaired after a heavy accident that happened somewhere between Oregon and Washington (they are the first three people you'll see in the gallery). Besides Eric, Bud and Paul, I spent some with with a few other people at the shipyard, although not as much as I would have liked. I might go back and complete this story, make it more than just a few photos of three welders as the shipyard is much, much more than just that.
Oh, did I mention that I'm writing this from America's "heartland"? I'm sitting in a motel in St James, Missouri. Got here two days ago for the Missouri Photo Workshop. I'll be posting my story (yet to be discovered) in a couple of weeks. Until then, stay well...

No comments: