Friday, February 8, 2008

Barack Obama in Seattle

Click on the image for more.

So after months of not posting anything, I'm back! Who's to blame? Dunno, blame it on Canada. That's always an option. Or blame it on Barack Obama. So today I went to the home of the Greatest, The Sonics'. That was a joke. The "Greatest", that is. As a woman who sat next to me said, "There haven't been this many people at a Sonics game in a long time". To that I added "Perhaps they need to start playing."

Obama gathered 21.000 people at Key Arena. According to "well-informed" sources, at least 3000 people couldn't get in. Most of the attendees were younger people, those who've kept Obama at the forefront of this race. It was refreshing to see them getting involved. It does seem that they really want to see a change in this country. And what a change that would be! I will look at the US with very different eyes once a non-white person enters the White House. And stays there for at least one term. Or a woman. Hell, I live in a "girly" state. Every position of any importance is held by a woman in Washington state. Personally, I doubt that America is ready for a non-caucasian president. Or a president in a skirt. I want to be proved wrong!

Traditionally it's been students and younger generations who've brought big, historical changes. Unless they role up their sleeves, nothing will ever happen. Someone commented (intelligently) on NPR that Baby Boomers will win again unless younger generations don't prevent them. I don't need to explain what action we need to take.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I am so glad to have found your blog! Love your work. I'll be back.

Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right. Not since JFK have young people been so inspired and motivated to get involved in political change. It's so invigorating and refreshing. Yes, we need someone young and vibrant to inspire change. And one with better judgement than someone with twice his political years would be a BIG plus!
To view my Obama fundraising page go to: http://my.barackobama.com/page/outreach/view/main/sarahvaldes