Monday, June 9, 2008

The Dalai Lama in Seattle

Click on the image for more photos.


And after a decade (it feels that long) I'm back with a new post. The post is new, but the event is almost two months old. A lot has happened in the meantime. The Dalai Lama went back to India, last month's cyclone killed tens of thousands in Myanmar, earthquake killed just as many people in China, Ana Ivanovic won Roland Garros (To Anci!), Hillary finally acknowledged defeat to Obama and someone in Hollywood is getting $20 million for a few snapshots of their still unborn baby (this is perhaps the most important news to half the nation). What else?.....Well, I'm graduating in a few days! Ha!

A few words about this event; The Dalai Lama visited Seattle back in April for a 5-day gathering. It was a big event in the city with daily activities that drew huge crowds of people. Between the big events at Key Arena and Qwest Field, smaller events took place throughout city, from Phil Borges' Bridges to Understanding event at Seattle Art Museum, concerts at McCaw Hall, to many workshops at Seattle Center. I was one of the photographers in the "public team" hired to cover the event by Seeds of Compassion, the organizer. It was a great experience for it allowed me to have access to places you normally can't get close to without a press pass. I got to hang out with other photographers and shoot right next to them. I have to admit that a "Bigger IS Better" thought went through my mind many times. To get the Dalai Lama closer I used a 100-400mm lens with a 1.4 extender. That lens is big. Very big. But when I saw the gigantic lenses other photographers used I felt like a smart next to a Hummer. Now I have to leave. The thing I've been waiting for for two years is starting in an hour and a half....my portfolio show! See you there...

No comments: